发新话题
打印【有213个人次参与评价】

[择校] [高中-预科]之一:H爸看IBDP课程和A-LEVEL课程(新话题:有关文章转帖)

在考虑孩子的初中,高中, 看到这个帖子。 一方面觉得很高兴, 家长认真思考, 而不再说什么“去国外很容易, 交给中介就好了”; 另一方面也有些隐忧, 所有的这些考试类的项目, 其实都是花,叶, 看着惹人喜爱, 但是其实不是根。 都是一些操着上可以程序化的东西。 选好国家, 按该国家的通行规则选项目就好了。 这些项目的兴衰, 和质量关系不大, 和资本运作关系比较大。

所有出国的人读书的人都知道, 出了国这些用处不大。
这里发一段外国人话。

I am an American teaching English in Beijing. I often help students prepare for college in America. It is very popular now, almost “trendy” for Chinese students who have money to go to either high school or undergraduate school in America (and other countries!).

Frankly, I tell my students that a lot of American schools are overrated. But, Chinese families feel that students who have American degrees stand a better chance of finding a good job when they return to China. Is this true? There is no empirical evidence that I am aware of, but belief counts.

I don’t mind good schools that might not be well known coming here and advertising, but there are a fair number of schools (you know who you are) that are not nearly as good as they portray themselves, which also come and advertise for students. An English colleague says there is the same problem in England.

Good schools should make sure that they students who they recruit from developing countries 1) not only can pass exams, but have qualities that will likely help them succeed in alien cultures, 2) that the schools themselves don’t merely admit the students and greedily grasp their tuition, but have programs set up to help them succeed, and 3) that they look beyond mere academics and try to provide students with opportunities that will enrich their lives and understanding of American culture.

Too many schools follow the McDonalds model of measuring success, they care only about “how many” customers they serve, not about the customers themselves. We may expect nothing more of McDonalds and its ilk, but we certainly should demand more of colleges and universities.

— PatrickInBeijing.

发新话题