发新话题
打印【有1125个人次参与评价】

[外语] Andy study English

本主题被作者加入到个人文集中
We went to hotspring today. There are lots of little fishes in the pool.

[ 本帖最后由 冰城来的男孩子 于 2010-1-30 11:55 编辑 ].

We bought 60 bags of coconut candies for our friends and relatives.

[ 本帖最后由 冰城来的男孩子 于 2010-2-1 20:15 编辑 ].

I watched the movie <<Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire >> yesterday evening..

I go to chess school in the morning and go to swim in the afternoon this week..

I got a prize today. It was for my good grades.

[ 本帖最后由 冰城来的男孩子 于 2010-2-3 20:30 编辑 ].

引用:
原帖由 冰城来的男孩子 于 2010-2-2 20:41 发表
I go to chess school in the morning and go to swim in the afternoon this week.
I go to chess school in the morning and then swim in the afternoon this week..

I bought a chess reference book. It's very  helpful..

引用:
原帖由 冰城来的男孩子 于 2010-2-3 20:26 发表
I got a prize today. It was for my good grades.
I got a prize for my good scores

First time to see such a lovely and brave boy to record his study and daily activities in a language other than his mother tongue, despite he is only 8 years old. Excellent!

The more errors you make during your English writing practice, the faster you will grow along the language learning curve.

Keep going, kid..

回复 358#yangbaobaobaba 的帖子

Thank you!
Happy Chinese New Year to you and your family. .

My Mom is going to her company's annual dinner tonight. There will be a lucky draw. It must be very funny. It's a shame I can't go, as I have to go swimming..

We are going to buy some fireworks. I like to play with them very much.

[ 本帖最后由 冰城来的男孩子 于 2010-2-7 20:34 编辑 ].

We lighted fireworks in the evening just now. They were really beautiful..

引用:
原帖由 冰城来的男孩子 于 2010-2-6 15:45 发表
Thank you!
Happy Chinese New Year to you and your family.
Happy Chinese New Year to you and your family Too, Kid!.

引用:
原帖由 冰城来的男孩子 于 2010-2-6 17:02 发表
My Mom is going to her company's annual dinner tonight. There will be a lucky draw. It must be very funny. It's a shame I can't go, as I have to go swimming.
My mom will go to her company's annual party this evening (this evening is more accurate). It must be very exciting as there will be lucky draws(should be more than one draw, right?) What a pity that I can't go with my mom because I have to go swimming this afternoon. (Never use the word of "Shame").

为什么不能用What a shame?我认为What a shame是对的,等同于What a pity,在这里的意思就是很遗憾很可惜。说What a shame的人很多的。.

回复 355#冰城来的男孩子 的帖子

恭喜下:).

引用:
原帖由 不二周助 于 2010-2-8 10:27 发表
为什么不能用What a shame?我认为What a shame是对的,等同于What a pity,在这里的意思就是很遗憾很可惜。说What a shame的人很多的。
Hello,

I just looked up the meaning of the phrase "What a shame" at online dictionaries, and found that I can't agree with your explanation. Because the word "Shame" is a very emotional expression for mistakes or wrongdoings. Unless not going with the kid's mom to her annual party would result in serious consequences to the kid (e.g. the kid had been keenly longing for the party for considerable times before he got to know the disappointing news, and he tasted the pain bitterly). Actually, the kid had something else to do, and, not going to the party was unfortunate for him, but still it was not a big deal. Therefore, it is inappropriate to use the emotional phrase here. Here is the link for the word explanation. http://answers.ask.com/Health/Mental/what_is_shame

I guess the phrase could be pretty common in articles by Chinese. But I don't see this word very ofter in any Western publications, newspaper, magazine, etc.

My one cent.

引用:
原帖由 yangbaobaobaba 于 2010-2-8 21:05 发表

Hello,

I just looked up the meaning of the phrase "What a shame" at online dictionaries, and found that I can't agree with your explanation. Because the word "Shame" is a very emotional expres ...
very often.

回复 369#yangbaobaobaba 的帖子

我遇见过一件事。是在国外的学校里,小朋友春游,老师说要小朋友可以问父母要点钱,春游结束后买一张明信片寄给你的朋友或家人,告诉他们你来过这里。当然大多数都带了,只有一个小朋友对老师说:我妈妈说不需要。所以他没有买。老师说:What a shame.

Unless not going with the kid's mom to her annual party would result in serious consequences to the kid (e.g. the kid had been keenly longing for the party for considerable times before he got to know the disappointing news, and he tasted the pain bitterly). Actually, the kid had something else to do, and, not going to the party was unfortunate for him, but still it was not a big deal.

你是认为,说不去妈妈的Party不是太大的事,不合适用shame对吗?而我举的例子对孩子来说比较大了,所以可以说What a shame?

[ 本帖最后由 不二周助 于 2010-2-8 21:41 编辑 ].

回复 370#不二周助 的帖子

Hello,

I think that we have gone too far from the origin of the topic. Here is my last reply to your further question.  

Read your example, I think that the teacher's reaction is correct, because in Western countries, it is quite natural for young kids to bring some small gifts, no matter how expense or cheap might be, to their mom/dad to express their affections to their parents / grand parents, when there is a good opportunity arises, e.g. excursion, camp, etc. The teacher might thought that it would be shameful / embarrassing  that a kid hadn't  shared something happy with their families / close friends by just mailing a postcard. It is also weird that a kid didn't do so because his mom told him that she didn't need it. Even in my point of view, the mom's approach is a little bit unorthodoxy. That's why the teacher used the phrase, not the phrase "what a pity", I guess.

What a shame if the kid hadn't gone to his mom's birthday party for whatever reason might be, and what a pity for the kid to miss her mom's company party because he had other things to do. My understanding..

Thank you! 不二周助 and yangbaobaobaba!

We do learn a lot from both of you!

Wish both of you a wonderful Spring Festival!.

I played two sets of chess. I won one and lost one..

引用:
原帖由 冰城来的男孩子 于 2010-2-7 20:33 发表
We are going to buy some fireworks. I like to play with them very much.
I don't think we'd say 'play with' fireworks, only because we'd know people might think that was strange & a bit dangerous & might laugh... so we'd probably say 'let them off' or 'watch them' ..

引用:
原帖由 冰城来的男孩子 于 2010-2-7 20:39 发表
We lighted fireworks in the evening just now. They were really beautiful.
We lit fireworks this evening or we just lit our fireworks..... just now is a phrase you usually only use to clarify to someone exactly when you're talking about, eg 'when did you let the fireworks off? Just now..

Mum bought lots of food after work today..

We piled a snowman today. It has an orange nose and two black eyes.

[ 本帖最后由 冰城来的男孩子 于 2010-2-14 15:17 编辑 ].

Mom forgot to buy my chess exercise book today.

[ 本帖最后由 冰城来的男孩子 于 2010-2-15 10:00 编辑 ].

I couldn't find my winter holiday homework today. Where can it be?.

We have just back from my granny's house. We had a wonderful time there.

[ 本帖最后由 冰城来的男孩子 于 2010-2-18 08:59 编辑 ].

We met lots of relatives at granny's house. there were my aunts, uncles, cousins and my litter nephew.

[ 本帖最后由 冰城来的男孩子 于 2010-2-17 21:04 编辑 ].

We went to Shanghai Science and Technology Museum. I watched two 3D movies there..

引用:
原帖由 冰城来的男孩子 于 2010-2-14 15:16 发表
We piled a snowman today. It has an orange nose and two black eyes.
We made/built a...........

We went fishing and got 5 beautiful golden fishes.

[ 本帖最后由 冰城来的男孩子 于 2010-2-21 12:05 编辑 ].

Winter holiday is over! What a pity! I need go to school tomorrow..

Today is the first day of this term. We all are back to the school except Amy.

[ 本帖最后由 冰城来的男孩子 于 2010-2-22 19:59 编辑 ].

I swim everyday except Tuesday. Mum and Dad works everyday except Saturday and Sunday..

The garden is very beautiful. There are green trees, yellow flowers, pink flowers, orange flowers and beautiful butterflies.

[ 本帖最后由 冰城来的男孩子 于 2010-2-24 20:50 编辑 ].

It's rainy but very warm today.

[ 本帖最后由 冰城来的男孩子 于 2010-2-25 20:29 编辑 ].

There was a hole in the swimming trunks of my teammate Chen. we all laughed at him..

I played basketball in my uncle's yard with a guy. His basketball hit my head and finger. Now my finger is hurt..

We went to Yu garden tody. It' very crowded as today is the Lantern Festival.

[ 本帖最后由 冰城来的男孩子 于 2010-2-28 18:46 编辑 ].

I'm still hungry after dinner. So I want to eat several chocolate bars.

[ 本帖最后由 冰城来的男孩子 于 2010-3-1 19:35 编辑 ].

写得越来越好了!.

Today is very busy. I made an invitation card.

[ 本帖最后由 冰城来的男孩子 于 2010-3-2 20:43 编辑 ].

I bought a swimming trunks from our coach today. I haven't pay him yet. It's RMB 19. I'm going to pay him tomorrow..

引用:
原帖由 冰城来的男孩子 于 2010-3-4 20:53 发表
I bought a swimming trunks from our coach today. I haven't pay him yet. It's RMB 19. I'm going to pay him tomorrow.
I bought a pair of swimming trunks from our coach today. I haven't pay him yet. They were RMB 19. I'm going to pay him tomorrow.

Well done!.

Our chess school will have a round competition, It will last 5 weeks.

[ 本帖最后由 冰城来的男孩子 于 2010-3-6 21:55 编辑 ].

abacus

I need buy an abacus. We will start to learn abacus next week..

发新话题